The Phases of the Moon (applying the scientific method)
- How does the appearance of the moon change?
- what are the phases of the Moon?
- at what time of the day do we see a full moon?
- at what time of the day do we see a new moon?
- what is its periodicity (how long till the pattern repeats)?
- Does the Moon ever seem closer or further away?
- What makes the Moon shine?
- Does the Moon ever seem brighter or fainter?
- A movie
showing a series of observations of the Moon taken over the course of a month
- What do we know about the orientation of the Earth, Moon, and Sun?
- Remember that the Earth spins around its own axis once a day.
This means the Sun, the Moon, and the stars all appear to rise in the east and to set in the west.
- A movie (MPG format, some web-browsers will not be able to play this)
of a lunar eclipse
- here, the Earth passes directly between the Sun and the Moon, blocking the light
- the movie is roughly one hour long
- how is this similar to the phases of the Moon?
- how is it different from the phases of the Moon?