Agnar HallGraduate Student NMSUAstronomy
My research interests are centered around the fields of cosmology and large-scale structure. I began my graduate studies in August 2014 working with Dr. Anatoly Klypin as a member of the extragalactic research group, studying the properties of stellar populations in high redshift galaxies. I currently work with Dr. Moire Prescott and Dr. Kristian Finlator investigating gas structures at high redshift which may be progenitors of modern-day galaxy clusters.
I completed a B.A. degree in astronomy in December 2013 at the University of Colorado, Boulder, where I worked with Dr. Erica Ellingson on several projects involving galaxies within clusters. We used the Apache Point Observatory 3.5-meter telescope to obtain spectra of faint galaxies and determine whether they were associated with central-dominant galaxies within nearby clusters. I also analyzed x-ray observations from the XMM-Newton Observatory of high redshift galaxy cluster XMM-129, combining these data with optical imaging to study feedback processes.
I have also explored several other branches of astronomy aside from cosmology. In 2011, I completed an internship at the NASA Johnson Space Center (JSC) in Houston, where I worked to solve fabrication problems related to an Orion crew module mock-up needed for spacecraft testing and training procedures. I have also worked at the Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics (LASP), analyzing and archiving data from plasma instruments on the Voyager, Cassini, and Galileo missions.
- Rocky Mountain CUWiP (2013)
- New Mexico Symposium (2014, 2016)
- American Astronomical Society Winter Meeting (2017)
- Snowbird Cosmic Lyman Alpha Workshop (2017)
Teaching and Outreach Activities
- Astronomy 105: The Planets
- Astronomy 110: Introduction to Astronomy
- Astronomy 110: Introduction to Astronomy Online
Awards and Memberships
- American Astronomical Society member
- Apache Point Observatory – Certified Observer
- University of Colorado Presidential Scholarship recipient
- Dean’s List, University of Colorado College of Arts and Sciences
- Society of Collegiate Leadership and Achievement member
- National Merit Scholar
- National AP Scholar
- AP Scholar with Distinction